Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Teaching Internet Safety

I talked to my 15 year old sister who is a sophomore in high school about cyber-bullying. After asking her about what she knew about internet safety it was pretty apparent that she knew to be careful. She knew to stay away from chat rooms and people she did not know.
I thought this was important because at her high school there have been a couple instances where people have been bullied to the point of suicide. This makes me sad because I want to be a teacher in the near future and I don't want any of my students to have to be hurt like that.
It was a positive discussion because she had already been introduced to the idea. She knew that it wasn't something she wanted to participate in. I think it was a valuable and positive discussion because it never hurts to be re-introduced to something. She had some background knowledge so it was good to discuss and revisit the idea. It is a scary thing that I do not want her to have to deal with. If anything, the discussion let her know that I care and that I think knowing about this is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment